Monday, June 23, 2014

It's Monday!

What a fabulous start to the week!  I just finished two incredible books.  The first book seems to be getting a lot of attention and there is good reason, for sure.  Absolutely Almost is such a memorable book and it will stay with me for a very long time.  I am already thinking about the students I can share this book with.  It would be absolutely engaging read aloud.  I would love to hear the conversations and reflections as children listen and read this book.  Linda Graff beautifully tells how kids and adults can feel inadequate and self-doubting and how our relationships can help us to see the world and ourselves differently.  Albie, the main character, is completely endearing.  

I loved how the author of West of the Moon, Margi Preus, craftily wove traditional stories into this story of two sisters trying to find their father in America.  The folk stories intertwined are magical and help the main character  find her way through difficult times, survival and a start to self awareness.

Two very different stories but so happy that I was invited into both books!

.

2 comments: